Monday, June 14, 2010

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff


Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
Publisher: Wendy Lamb Books
Released: September 2002
Age Group: 9-12
Pages: 176
Source: Library


Abandoned at birth, Hollis Woods was named after the town in which she was found. In her twelve years, she has run away from every foster home she's ever been in - even from the one family she loved. She is then placed with Josie, a retired art teacher, with whom she immediately bonds. Hollis is torn between her regret for leaving the Regans, her worry for Josie's growing forgetfulness, and her wish for a family of her own.

This book was recommended to me by my mom. I don't remember how she came across it since she normally reads nonfiction, but she really liked it and called me the day she read it to tell me all about it. It happened to catch my eye on my next trip to the library, so I picked it up. It's an easy, quick read that only took me a few hours to finish. That said, it was definitely a story that will stay with me for a while. The story is partially told in flashbacks captured in Hollis's paintings. It was a beautiful, emotional story with one of the most satisfying endings I've read in a while.

4 comments:

  1. This was such a good story and I loved the writing. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good recommendation, I've heard this is a good book but have never read it. I'll have to grab a copy. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing this before, but I haven't read it yet. I added it to my wish list so that I wouldn't forget about it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! And I love those books that stay with you long after you have read them. I'll definitely check this one out thanks to your lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails