Monday, August 22, 2011

How to Fall in Love with YA

One of my favorite bloggers, Jordyn at Ten Cent Notes, listed her very own guide on How to Fall in Love with YA a few months ago. Because I thought it was such a cute idea and I've been feeling very reflective the past few weeks, I decided to jump on-board and share with you my own steps to falling in love with YA.

Step 1: Read Twilight.
This was back before the movie came out when EVERYONE was reading these books. Between my personal vow of never seeing a movie before reading the book and genuine curiosity, I picked up Twilight and didn't eat, sleep, or move until I'd read the entire series. Say what you will, but I owe a lot to Twilight. I had forgotten what it was like to get lost in a book, and Stephenie Meyer reminded me.

Step 2: Get on the Nest.
Around this time I was expected my then boyfriend to pop the question soon, so I started playing around on the Knot. This led me to the Nest community boards where there was an online book club. This was back before I knew about blogs or Goodreads, so this was the one place I found where I could talk books with people. I signed up for different challenges and read-a-longs and got some amazing recommendations from some awesome ladies.

Step 3: Read Harry Potter.
Although I read as a kid, I never picked up the HP books. Wizards and magic and secret schools? Pssht . . . whatev. I didn't think it was my thing. Then I ended up seeing the first movie because my mom wanted to go, and I loved it - but, I still wasn't interested in reading the books. Thank God for the ladies on the Nest who convinced me that watching the movies was simply not enough. The movies are fantastic, but the books are just so much . . . more.

Step 4: Read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.
Even though Twilight and Harry Potter are young adult/children's books, it wasn't until reading Nick and Norah that I realized what today's YA was all about. This book spoke to my inner sixteen-year-old in ways that no book I read at sixteen had. I loved and still love this book tremendously. I owe all the remaining steps to this book - to Nick and to Norah, to David and to Rachel.

Step 5: Start a blog.
During my time on the Nest, I discovered blogs, more specifically, book blogs. I set up a google account, came up with a title, and never looked back. It has been a truly amazing experience, and it continues to amaze me everyday. I've been given so many opportunities, made so many friends, and had such great discussions with people. I love blogging and being a part of the YA community. Everyone is so supportive and talented; they are truly some of the best people in the world.

Step 6: Travel.
Whether it's hopping from blog to blog or conference to conference, traveling in all sense of the word has been quite possibly the best experience. I was lucky enough to attend BEA and ALA this year, but I realize not everyone has the means to do this. But there are so many places you can go while sitting comfortably in your desk chair! Blog hops, read-a-thons, armchair conferences - you name it, they've got it. The more you interact with this great community, the more the community has to offer you.

Step 7: Keep reading.
This may be the most important step. Because with each great, new book I read, I fall in love with YA all over again.


What would YOUR steps to falling in love with YA be? If you decide to create a list, please link back to Jordyn, as I'm sure she'd love to hear about your lists, too :)

3 comments:

  1. AHHH I love your list. So glad mine inspired this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list. :) For me, The Hunger Games was really the catalyst behind my renewed love for YA. Then after about 30 something books, I discovered book blogs and the rest is history :)

    I'm so glad for all of it and for ALA because that's how I met you and Josh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the Twilight comment. People say this and that but it reminded me what it was like to get completely absorbed in a book and I really miss that feeling (I swear there was crack in those pages)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails