Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Please be aware that this is the fifth book in a series. In order to give even the briefest synopsis, this review may contain spoilers to the first four books. You can read my reviews of The Lightning Thief here, The Sea of Monsters here, The Titan's Curse here, and The Battle of the Labyrinth here.


The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Released: May 5, 2009
Age Group: 9-12
Pages: 400
Source: Library
Series: Book 5 of Percy Jackson and the Olympians


In the fifth and final book of the Percy Jackson series, both the cryptic prophecy and the fate of the world are finally revealed. Percy, Annabeth, and the rest of Camp Half-Blood must defend Mount Olympus from Kronos on their own, while the Olympians are off fighting their own battles against the other Titans and their evil monsters.

I wasn't overly satisfied by the end of the series, but then again I wasn't really in love with the other books to begin with. I'm not sorry I read them, and I would definitely recommend them to others; however, I think it's important to keep in mind that these books are aimed at a much younger age group and don't contain the maturity level or depth of story and characters that older youths and adults crave. Of course the fact that these books were all released within the wake of the phenomenon that was the Harry Potter series didn't exactly help. I haven't brought it up until now because I was trying to be fair, but it's hard to refrain from comparing young adult series to Harry Potter, which - in my opinion - just don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails