Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Please be aware that this is the second book in a series. In order to give even the briefest synopsis, this review may contain spoilers to the first book. You can read my review of The Lightning Thief here.



Percy Jackson somehow makes it to the end of seventh grade with relative ease. All year he manages to stay out of trouble. No fighting off evil monsters, no visits from satyrs, and virtually no contact from Camp Half Blood. The highlight of Percy's year is defending the homeless kid, Tyson, from his classmates' cruel jokes. Soon enough things return to normal - normal for Percy, that is - when a game of dodgeball becomes fatal. After Annabeth comes to Percy's rescue, he is quickly informed the magical borders of Camp Half Blood have been poisoned and are failing. A quest is granted for Percy and his friends to journey through the Sea of Monsters in search of the elusive Golden Fleece to save Camp Half Blood.


You know, in my review of The Lightning Thief, I don't think I gave Rick Riordan enough credit. No, it's not the most engrossing book I've ever read. No, it's not the greatest piece of children's literature ever written. No, it's most definitely not Harry Potter. However, Percy Jackson is a light, very enjoyable series, and I genuinely cared about Percy and his friends and what happened to them. I loved Percy's point of view and the way it sometimes felt like he was talking directly to the reader at times. I also loved the constant bickering between Percy and Annabeth, very seventh grade. Overall, I really liked The Sea of Monsters and am eager to get started on Book 3, The Titan's Curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails