Friday, May 7, 2010

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

I have a confession to make.

::whispers::
I hate writing reviews.

I love reading, I love blogging, and I love sharing my thoughts and opinions. But when it comes to actually sitting down and writing a review, I freaking hate it! It's so hard to 1. be original and 2. give a great book a worthy review.

Such has been my problem with Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers. This book just came out in January, and I was super excited to have gotten my hands on it so quickly. My library takes for.ever! to get new titles, and I'd be really poor if I went out and bought every new book I wanted. So, a HUGE thanks to Other Shelf Tours for providing me with a copy :)

I was first introduced to Summers about a month ago when I read her debut novel Cracked Up to Be. I LOVED this book and was blown away by Summers' writing. I was practically itching to get my hands on Some Girls Are, and I was not disappointed.

Regina Afton was a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, the most popular group of girls at Hallowell High. Her life was only about waiting on Anna Morrison, the leader of the group, and making her classmates' lives hell - just for the fun of it. All of that changes when she's stabbed in the back and awful rumors about her and Anna's boyfriend begin to spread.

Now "frozen out," Regina's ex-friends are determined to get revenge. Her only company is a boy named Michael who's been outcast because of Regina's own bullying. What follows is a horrifying chain of events Anna and her friends create to get back at Regina for something she didn't do.

Wow. That's all I've been able to say since finishing this a few weeks ago. I've been writing, erasing, and rewriting this review ever since - trying to get it just right. I'm still at a loss to describe how Summers' writing makes you feel. It's like watching a suspenseful movie - you're on the edge of your seat and you can't even eat your popcorn because you're afraid you'll miss something. What happens in this book is truly awful but, again, so so relevant. (In case anyone forgot, you can read the stories of Phoebe Prince, Carl Walker-Hoover, or Jaheem Herrera to see how bullying can affect today's youth.) Even though this book made my skin crawl, I could not put it down and read it in just a few sittings. It was an emotional read, and I found myself hating Regina one minute and really pulling for her the next. Summers' ability to pull you in and not let go has put her on my favorite author list. I cannot wait to see what Courtney has in store for book three.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review - I know what you mean about having a hard time writing them, but this one is excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails