Monday, May 31, 2010

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

One day while exploring, Coraline wanders through a secret passage into another house that looks a lot like her own. There she finds another mother and another father who wish to keep her there for themselves. Coraline also meets alternate versions of her eccentric neighbors and a talking cat. Complete with ink drawings, Coraline is a dark fairy tale that may be more suitable for afternoons than bedtime.

I was really surprised that this was a children's book intended for ages 9-12. What a creepy little thing! I'm not quite sure how to review it because it was just "meh" for me. The writing was very simplistic, there wasn't much character development, and I figured out the ending long before it was revealed. I won't say that I didn't like it, but I certainly didn't love it.

I've heard a lot of hype about Neil Gaiman's works, so I hope to be a bit more impressed than I was with Coraline with the next Gaiman book I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails