Tuesday, December 28, 2010

FIVE Challenge: Great Author Moments

The FIVE Challenge was created by Adele of Persnickety Snark. A few weeks ago Adele challenged her fellow bloggers to create lists of their favorite books of the year. Today's list includes great author moments. Unfortunately, YA authors don't often travel to the Baton Rouge (or even New Orleans) area, so I don't get to go to signings, workshops, etc. BUT, many authors have an amazing online presence which is really important to people like me who don't have the opportunity to see them in person.


God Is in the Pancakes
Robin's was the first author email I've ever received. Shortly after posting my review of God Is in the Pancakes (which I absolutely loved), Robin emailed to thank me for my review. She said:
I just have to tell you how thrilled I was when I saw your ARC review. It was thoughtful, it was well written and I love knowing that you related to Grace and the book! As I read your review I literally clasped my hand to my heart and beamed from ear to ear. You totally made my day and I just wanted you to know that!
What I appreciated most from her email was the description of her reaction to my review, which was my exact same reaction to her email! The love I have for the authors of my favorite books is great, and feeling that love being reciprocated from an author is nothing short of amazing. Thanks, Robin, for your kind words. The praise is greatly appreciated.

Lisa Schroeder
I Heart You, You Haunt Me; Far From You; Chasing Brooklyn
The second author email I received was a thank-you from Lisa for my review of Chasing Brooklyn. Her email was also full of praise, and especially meaningful after knowing she'd read other reviews on my blog. She's also tweeted her approval of my If I Stay review and, just recently, her thanks for choosing Chasing Brooklyn as one of my favorite novels of the year.

Medeia Sharif
Bestest. Ramadan. Ever.
Back when I first started blogging, I was stoked any time I got a comment... from anyone - even my friends who probably felt obligated. So when I started getting "regulars" I was beyond thrilled and grateful. One of these people was Medeia, whose debut novel will be published summer 2011. She was my first author-commenter, and I'm still extremely humbled she even read my blog.

Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Crazy Beautiful, The Education of Bet, The Twin's Daughter
I can't say that I've read any of Lauren's books (not that they aren't on my list) or that I know much about her personally (although I have done some research), but I do know that she's huge on Twitter and despite having over 2000 followers, she still makes the time to tweet to little, measly me. In fact, she complemented me on my spelling, which is something I pride myself in.

Sarah Ockler
Twenty Boy Summer, Fixing Delilah
Any author who takes time away from his/her busy schedule to host Twitter parties, hold contests, and generate interest in upcoming releases via groups like The Contemps is sure to be a favorite among readers. Sarah Ockler is this type of author. Just last month in celebration of her sophomore novel, Fixing Delilah, she hosted a three-hour-long Twitter party. Despite being banned by the Twitter police, she managed to answer questions and reveal trivia answers all while tallying up everyone's entries for her multiple contests. I was incredibly grateful to be a part of such a fun night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails