Saturday, January 30, 2010

Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

Deanna is a girl with a reputation. After being caught by her dad in the back seat of an old Buick with her older brother's friend, she starts high school as the class slut. Trying to move on from her mistake, Deanna is forced to deal with the whispered stories at school and her father's disappointment. Combine that with her brother's family living in the basement, her job at a pathetic pizza joint, and her two best friends who happen to be dating, and you have Story of a Girl.

I love dysfunctional families because, let's face it, most are at least a little bit crazy. (I know mine is plenty crazy.) Deanna and her brother, Darren, are doing the best they can with the choices they've made, and I think that says a lot about their maturity and sense of responsibility. I really enjoyed that message. I also like the importance of honesty in this novel. Even when things get ugly and scary and painful, the characters know they have to be honest. This was my first Sara Zarr novel, and I can't wait to move on to the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails