Monday, June 11, 2012

Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Timepiece
Myra McEntire
Publisher: Egmont
Released: June 14, 2012
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 336
Source: Sasha
Series: Hourglass #2
A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?

Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...
So one of the greatest things about blogging is community. Commenting and tweeting are great, but meeting people at all the various bookish events is even better. Because when you can't get to the next conference and someone you know can, she sends you goodies. Enter Sasha from Sash & Em: she not only scored one of the few copies of Timepiece at ALA Midwinter, but she also sent it across the country to share with her fellow bloggers. I may not have been lucky enough to make it to Dallas, but I am lucky enough to know her.

In the follow-up to Hourglass, we get to see things from Caleb's point of view. His dad is back from the dead, his mom's in a coma, and all of Hourglass is being held responsible for changes in the time continuum. Consequently, Caleb is a bit . . . distracted. Luckily Emerson's best friend Lilly is there to set him straight, while the entire Hourglass team is scrambling to find Jack and the missing research.

Myra once again blew my mind with the stuff she comes up with. How I would love to live in her brain for a day. The twists and turns that kept me gripping the pages of Hourglass were found again in Timepiece. The pacing is fantastic, the depth of her characters is fantastic, and the way this woman makes me want need the next book is unprecedented. I have been a Myra cheerleader from day one, and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next - in the world of the Hourglass or otherwise.

I have to say I did miss Em. I loved being inside Caleb's head, and the plot was just as stellar as in the first book. But I did miss the snarky spitfire that was Emerson, and my only wish was that there was more of her spunk found in the pages. I'm very anxious to see whose point of view we get in book three. Someone new? Maybe multiple perspectives? Either way, Myra McEntire is an author I have come to wholeheartedly trust with a story, so whatever it may be I'm sure will be phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails