Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (a nonreview)

The Fault in Our Stars
John Green
Publisher: Dutton
Released: January 10, 2012
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 312
Source: Bought
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.
“...books so special and rare and yours
that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”(33)

This is more of a reaction post than anything because a) I can't dream of ever finding the words to describe the heartbreaking beauty of this novel and b) I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's experience with even the most minuscule descriptions. And although I feel as if I should heed the quote's advice, I also feel like I must say something about this novel: if not for my readers, then as a thank you to the author.

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep:
slowly, and then all at once."(125)

This book is no Hunger Games. The pace is much more relaxed, slowly building up until the very end. The Fault in Our Stars is heartbreakingly honest and poignantly brilliant. This book absolutely slayed me in the best way possible. John Green has such a way of making the unfunny humorous and the painful beautiful. I am forever grateful for his words, his stories, and, especially, for Hazel and Augustus.


Green, John. The Fault in Our Stars. New York: Dutton Books, 2011. Print.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of those emotion filled one that I have been avoiding for a while now. It does sounds really good. Maybe soon. Great review. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    Marlene Detierro (Alaska Fishing Lodges)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails