Tuesday, December 27, 2011

YA Superlatives Blogfest: Head of the Class

Hosted by Jessica Love, Katy Upperman, Alison Miller, and Tracey Neithercott

The end of another year is here, and I can't wait to see everyone else's end-of-year lists. It's one of my favorite aspects of the blogging community. I read some great books this year, and it was really hard to pick favorites. Also, I cheated a little and picked from all the books I READ in 2011 - not necessarily published in 2011. I hate to break the rules, but I wanted to highlight all the great books I read, including those old and those not yet published. Feel free to leave comments - I'd love to hear what you think of my picks - and be sure to visit my lovely hostesses! Thanks, ladies, for putting this together! I can't wait to read your posts, as well.

Favorite Dystopian

It's really special when an author can make you care about the bad guy.

Favorite Science Fiction

I only read this book because I felt guilty. It was super hyped up, everyone wanted a copy, and I was lucky enough to get one without ever asking for it. So even though I thought I'd hate it, I read it. And I am so glad I did.

Favorite Fantasy

Not sure if Fantasy is the right place for this one, but I honestly don't read much of the genre. Imaginary Girls is another of this year's titles that's difficult to categorize, a "dilemma" that really excites me.

Favorite Contemporary

I was afraid of this book because I just knew I would love it but then I was also scared I would be let down. I don't know if you've ever felt that way about a book, but Lauren Myracle delivered all I could have hoped for and more.

Favorite Action/Adventure

Just because I didn't read many books to fit this category
doesn't mean Eve isn't deserving. There's plenty of running/chasing/killing to keep readers on the edges of their seats.

Favorite Historical Fiction

Elizabethan England, guys on horseback, girls in fancy dresses... need I say more?

Favorite Comedy

It's not often that books make me laugh out loud, but this one did - a lot.

Favorite Mystery

Not sure if you can really call MARA a mystery... but I know I wasn't the only one
screaming, "WTF?!" the entire time.

Favorite Romance

One word for you: SA-WOON!

Favorite Paranormal Romance

Edward who?

Favorite Family Drama

I'm not the only one wanting to throat punch Cara's parents, right?

Favorite Genre Bender

I cannot, for the life of me, describe this book. It's just awesome.


So there you have it - my favorite books of the year! Come back tomorrow for the Popularity Contest where I'll be showcasing even more of the greatness found in YA this year. Be sure to visit other blogs and feel free to join in with your own picks!

6 comments:

  1. Yes to Hourglass!!! And I wanted to punch Cara's parents AND Sean! Great list! I'm going to have to read some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your list-- there are several books that I hadn't heard of before-- but I'll add them to my list. (This is why I've read so few books in 2011, I wait to hear buzz and then read). :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I just got Ten Things We Did for free on Kindle! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I am loving your choices. I'm going to have so many books to read once I'm done with this Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, you've got some fantastic choices on your list! I have't heard of THE OTHER COUNTESS, but I'll definitely be checking it out. I'm always on the lookout for awesome historical fiction recs.

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *adds entire selection to TBR list*

    I am currently in the process of reading Across the Universe, and I think I'm falling in love with Elder... *cough* Anyway, great list! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails